Many people associate sound oral health with white teeth. However, if your teeth are not straight, you are in a poor oral health state that could lead to some serious oral health issues over time. Dental braces have proven to be effective for correcting misaligned, crowded teeth and ensuring enhanced appearance. Apart from a pretty smile and straight teeth, braces offer a myriad of medical benefits that go beyond cosmetic reasons.
Do I Need Dental Braces?
Depending on your specific oral health condition, braces may be the best option for you.
Seeing your dentist for regular dental appointments could be helpful in determining if you need further evaluation for getting dental braces.
The signs that an individual needs braces can differ according to overall dental health and age. Braces are also becoming common in children and adults and the results have been very positive.
According to our Bridgeport dental clinic, you may need braces if:
- You lost your baby teeth way early and your adult teeth haven’t erupted for a while after that. This could have impacted the way your permanent teeth have developed. An evaluation for braces is necessary in this case.
- Your teeth are visibly crowded or cooked
- Your jaw shifts in place or makes sounds. This again indicates a developmental issue with your teeth and/or jaw.
- Problems with the bite like overbite or underbite. You are frequently biting your cheek/tongue or cutting your tongue on your tooth or your teeth hitting the mouth roof.
- Your teeth don’t properly close over each other when your mouth is at rest
- Experiencing difficulty in chewing due to misaligned teeth
- Facing difficulty in pronouncing certain sounds
- Stress on your jaw after chewing
- Forced to breathe through the mouth
Genetics, poor nutrition during the infant/toddler phase, and poor dental hygiene could also be the reasons you may have to get braces.
Benefits of Braces Beyond Aesthetics
Improved self-esteem that comes from looking your best is one of the important reasons to consider dental braces. However, the benefits of braces go way beyond just pure aesthetics.
Braces ensure proper tooth alignment and correct bite which may have a lot of health benefits which include:
- Improved chewing ability
- Easier to clean, brush, and floss
- Reduced risk of cavities and gum disease
- Alleviation of speech impairment issues
- Reduced chipping and grinding of teeth
- Better oral care habits for a lifetime
- Prevention of jawbone erosion
- Prevents injury from protruding teeth
- Improves digestion
Are Braces Uncomfortable?
Getting dental braces installed takes around 1-2 hours. After a few hours, you may experience some kind of pain, discomfort, and little soreness in your gums and teeth. However, this minor pain and discomfort last only for a week until your braces get adjusted in your mouth properly.
Any pain associated with dental braces can be easily managed with over-the-counter pain killers. Just avoid chewy foods for the first week. It is recommended to consume a soft diet like yogurt, ice cream, and soup for the first week. Most candidates get comfortable with their braces in around a month.
If you further need help with cosmetic or general dentistry in TX, feel free to get in touch with our team.